The FAA is seeking comments on the latest proposed changes to the way that it does business.
The FAA has released the latest revision of Order 8120.2 – the “F” revision – and it is available online for review and comment: Production Approval and Certificate Management Procedures. This Order describes how the Manufacturing Inspection District Offices (MIDOs) process applications for production approvals, including PMAs, PCs, APIS and TSOAs.
Proposed changes to the Order include
- Requirements for MIDO inspectors to perform Risk-Based Resource Targeting Assessments;
- Better guidance on PMA Assist Letters;
- Life limits/airworthiness are no longer a required element – they are only required to be addressed in the letter where they actually apply;
- The PMA Assist letter is still permitted to address configuration control, but such arrangements can also be addressed elsewhere in the application at the option of the applicant;
- The sample letter standard language has been changed;
- New guidance on how to revise/handle PMAs when a PMA-owning company is purchased.
It is worthwhile for every PMA holder to review this proposed guidance to make sure it continues to track with their expectations from the FAA. Comments are due to the FAA by September 22, 2008. They may be sent by email to 9-AWA-AVS-AIR-200-8120-2F-PublicComments@faa.gov or faxed to David Magruder at (202) 267-5580.